Wednesday 27 February 2013

SISTERly fashion


While i was away from home for my NYSC, something funny happened. I was going through the recent update on my blackberry messenger and i saw that my sister just put up a new display picture. I zoomed in and yea the picture was beautiful, but there was something familiar about the picture that kept me staring at it for like 1minute. Then, bam! i knew what it was, the blouse she was wearing was mine, lol. Then i sent this message "that blouse looks familiar ;)" , in turn she sent me this picture.


 
Seeing the picture made me smile and i kept on thinking of how wonderful my sister has been to me and the great support she has shown me since i seriously started this fashion business. I have being invovled in fashion for as far back as junior secondary school, drawing caricarture fashion models, having active participation in clothing and textile classes, following fashion news as i could and so on. But being able to sew and studying fashion design happened just two years ago and am still learning. So how was my sister of help? you would ask. She was my "laboratory rat". Just two weeks into fashion school, my sista had the "great"confidence to give me her material for me to make her a skirt. Now only a sister would do that, cos some people can't confidently give their cloth to a tailor of many years. This was the skirt i made:
 



















Through out my learning period in fashion school, i rarely used the 'calico' materials students used for practical but instead i used fabrics given to me by my sister, she was my first client and still is my most loyal client. Many will say she had no choice since she is family, but if you meet her you would know she is the most down to earth person you would ever encounter. So if she didn't beleive i could make it, she wouldn't give me her cloth to make but would rather give me verbal encouragement. Her confidence in me was a major source of encouragement and helped me through some difficult times. Below are pictures of two garments i made for her just two months into fashion school
 








 
 
 
My sister is not the emotional type showing her love openly, nah, (in her words "please no mushy mushy things", i know she would kill me when she reads this) but she encouraged me in other ways by undergoing my amatuer photoshoots, listening to all my "meaningless" fashion stories, givnig my constructive criticism and even helping out in various little ways to show she cared. So what is the lesson learnt; Encouragement goes a very long way! Every opportunity you have to encourage someone please don't hesitate to do, you might just be the spark or push the person needs to move on :).
 

#Fashion tip: Ladies with broad shoulders should embrace dresses that have lengthwise pleats, folds, or tucks extending from the shoulders to the waist, placed somewhat toward the centre line in order to narrow rather than broaden the figure. Hat with a relatively high crown and a fairly wide brim.

 

But should avoid wide dresses, horizontal structural lines in yokes, collars, and lapels of garments and very small hats.







3 comments: